Anti-quota protest

Students demonstrate demanding withdrawal of case

Students demonstrate demanding withdrawal of case

Dhaka, Mar 18 (Just News): Students of different universities and colleges demonstrating against quota system today brought out a procession on Dhaka University campus demanding withdrawal of the case filed against at least 700 demonstrators on March 14.

In the case filed by Shahbagh police, they were accused of attempting to kill police officers and vandalising vehicles during a demonstration on the same day.

Today, a group of nearly 500-600 students from different universities and colleges, mostly Dhaka University, and job seekers, brought out the procession from Central Library of Dhaka University around 10:30am in protest against the case filed against them, witnesses said.

They also demanded reformation of existing quota system in BCS (Bangladesh Civil Service) and other government recruitment process.

The demonstrators marched on different roads, including Nilkhet and Shahbagh, with placards and ended at Raju Memorial sculpture on DU campus where they held a rally later.

From the rally, the protesters announced fresh programmes mentioning that they will conduct a clean-up programme from Shahbagh to Central Shaheed Minar on March 25 as part of their movement and will hold a Nagorik Somabesh at the Shaheed Minar on March 29.

Coordinator of the movement Hasan Al Mamun told our DU correspondent that police on March 14 foiled their programme by taking action without any provocation.

He said the movement is not against any person, any group or any organization. It is a logical demand, he added.

In Rajshahi, thousands of Rajshahi University students brought out a procession on their campus around 10:10am, protesting the case filed against the anti-quota demonstrators.

They brought out the procession from the university’s Central library and ended it at the RU Buddhijibi Chattar.
Nearly 1000 students of Rajshahi University bring out a procession on their campus on March 18, 2018, protesting the case filed against the anti-quota demonstrators. Photo: Arafat Rahaman

In Jahangirnagar University over 100 JU students brought out a procession on the campus this morning demanding the same.

According to the case statement, the demonstrators staged a sit-in illegally by blocking a road adjacent to High Court area on March 14, causing public sufferings. When police fired teargas shells to disperse them, the agitators equipped with sticks vandalised several vehicles and hurled projectiles at police officers, injuring four of them.

Meanwhile, the demonstrators at a press conference in front of DU Central Library on March 16, denied the allegations.

The demonstrators have a five-point demand including reducing the proportion of quotas in government jobs, recruitment of jobseekers to vacant posts on the basis of merit if eligible candidates are not found under quota, stopping of special recruitment tests for quota candidates, and ensuring of an unified age limit for all jobseekers.

Currently, 44 percent are recruited on merit and the remaining 56 percent on privilege allocated under various quotas.