At least 11 people were killed including six Bangladeshi nationals were killed when a bus carrying workers fell into a monsoon drain after taking wrong exit near MASKargo in Kuala Lumpur International Airport of Malaysia last night.
The latest victim has been identified as Jagarnath Singh Danuwar, 31, from Nepal. He died at the Putrajaya Hospital while receiving treatment, reports nst.com.my.
The 11 dead comprise the Malaysian bus driver and 10 foreign workers; while the injured are made up of two Malaysian women and 30 foreigners. The non-Malaysians hail from Indonesia, Nepal and Bangladesh.
The accident occurred at 11:10pm near the MAS Cargo Complex, Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) at Jalan S8 Pekeliling in Sepang.
The bus was ferrying contract workers of the MAS Cargo Complex from their hostel in Nilai, Negri Sembilan to their place of work when the driver lost control of the vehicle, which skidded and crashed into a 10-metre-deep storm drain.
The bus driver and eight workers died on the spot, while two others died while being treated at the Serdang and Putrajaya Hospitals.
“The bus was ferrying 43 passengers, mostly foreign contract workers, with MAS Cargo.
“Nine of the victims, including the 43-year-old bus driver, were confirmed dead at the accident spot.
“A tenth victim died at the Serdang Hospital, and the latest victim died at the Putrajaya Hospital,” said head of Selangor Traffic Enforcement and Investigation Department Superintendent Azman Shari’at.
He said that 13 other injured passengers were sent to the Serdang Hospital; 16 to the Putrajaya Hospital; four to the Banting Hospital; and one to the Kajang Hospital.
As of noon, five injured passengers from the Putrajaya Hospital and four from the Serdang Hospital were discharged and allowed to return home.
KLIA district police chief Assistant Commissioner Zulkifli Adamshah said the workers were supposed to clock in for their 12 midnight work shift.
“The cause of the incident is being investigated under Section 41 (1) of the Road Transport Act 1987 for causing death by reckless or dangerous driving,” Zulkifli told reporters at the scene of the incident.
Zone Five (South Selangor) Fire and Rescue Department chief Mohd Fadhil Salleh said they received an emergency call on the accident at 11:16pm.
“Upon arriving, we secured the site of the accident and stabilised the bus, before extricating the trapped victims.
“We had to cut open several parts of the bus to reach them.
“It took us about an hour to complete the operation,” he added.
A list of the dead and injured:
Dead (Putrajaya Hospital):
1. Jagarnath Singh Danuwar, 28, Male, Nepal
Dead (Serdang Hospital):
1. Md Razib Munsi, 26, Male, Bangladesh
2. Md Sohel, 24, Male, Bangladesh
3. Ramu Chaudhary, 37, Male, Nepal
4. Mohin, 37, Male, Bangladesh
5. Al Amin, 25, Male, Bangladesh
6. Ayu,22, Female, Indonesia
7. Azura Afrianti, 22, Female, Indonesia
8. Golam Mostafa, 22, Male, Bangladesh
9. Rosvita Loka Harahap, 23, Female, Indonesia
10. Unknown, Female
Injured (Serdang Hospital)
1. Fitra Akhbar, 27, Male, Indonesia
2. Krishna Bahadur Pun Magar, 28, Male, Nepal
3. Bharat Shahi, 24, Male, Nepal
4. Padam Bahadur Kawar, Male, Nepal
5. Santosh Kumar Sah, Male, Nepal
6. Md Nazmul Haque, 21, Male, Bangladesh
7. Md Rozbul Islam, 43, Male, Bangladesh
8. Imran Hossain, 21, Male, Bangladesh
9. Suman Kamcha Magar, 25, Male, Nepal
10. Annisa Abd Aziz, 27, Female, Malaysian
11. Santosh Kumar Yadav, 31, Male, Nepal
12. Lokendra Bahadur Sahi, 27, Male, Nepal
Injured (Putrajaya Hospital)
1. Keshay Thapa, 24, Male, Nepal
2. Muhammad Nawawi, 22, Male, Indonesia
3. Sari Marhdiani, 22, Female, Indonesia
4. Arif Perwira Hasibuan, 31, Male, Indonesia
5. Jahid Hassan, 21, Male, Bangladesh
6. Samim Ali, 32, Male, Bangladesh
7. Fitri Nurjahari, 21, Female, Indonesia
8. Lokesh Oli, 32, Male, Nepal
9. Fifi Darwisha Abd Nahim, 21, Female, Malaysian
10. Resa Elesyabet Sagala, 23, Female, Indonesia
11. Rasmahyani, 22, Female, Indonesia
12. Mohammad Yunus, 27, Male, Bangladesh
13. Maulida Agustin, 24, Female, Indonesia
14. Md Rakib, 24, Male, Bangladesh
15. Iwani Ramadani, 23, Male, Indonesia
Injured (Banting Hospital)
1. Suraj Yadav, Male, Nepal
2. Mahesh Kumar Budhatoki, Male, Nepal
3. Iwan Fitra, Male, Indonesia
4. Bishhwakarma Mandal, Nepal
Injured (Kajang Hospital)
1. Tiurma Silitongg, Female, Indonesia