The death toll from the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak surged to 2,000 on Wednesday.
Chinese and international health officials warned against excessive measures to contain the epidemic.
Meanwhile, an elderly man died of the virus in Hong Kong, raising the death toll in the country to two.
More than 74,000 people have now been infected by the virus in China, with hundreds more cases in some 25 countries.
The situation remains serious at the epicentre, with the director of a hospital in the central city of Wuhan becoming the seventh medical worker to die of COVID-19 illness.
But Chinese officials released a study showing most patients had mild cases of the infection, and World Health Organisation officials said the mortality rate was relatively low.
The outbreak is threatening to put a dent in the global economy, with China paralysed by vast quarantine measures and major firms such as iPhone maker Apple and mining giant BHP warning it could damage bottom lines.
Several countries have banned travellers from China and major airlines have suspended flights — something that Beijing’s ambassador to the EU warned was fuelling panic and threatening attempts to resume business.
Russia on Tuesday said that no Chinese citizens would be allowed to enter its territory from February 20.
The epidemic has triggered panic-buying in Singapore and Hong Kong, concerns about cruise-ship travel and the postponement of trade fairs, sports competitions and cultural events in China and abroad.
Authorities have placed about 56 million people in hard-hit central Hubei and its capital Wuhan under an unprecedented lockdown.
The city was carrying out ‘very good public health practice’ with door-to-door surveillance, said Michael Ryan, head of WHO’s health emergencies programme.
Other cities far from the epicentre have restricted the movement of residents, with a 14-day self-quarantine for people returning to Beijing.
President Xi Jinping, in a phone call with British prime minister Boris Johnson, said China’s measures were achieving ‘visible progress’, according to state media.
The official death toll in China hit 2,000 after another 132 people died in Hubei, where the virus emerged in December 2019.
Liu Zhiming, the director of Wuchang Hospital in Wuhan, became its latest victim, sparking an outpouring of grief online.
Earlier this month, the death of Wuhan doctor Li Wenliang — who had been punished by authorities for sounding the alarm about the virus in late December — triggered anger and calls on social media for political reform.
Official figures, meanwhile, showed there were nearly 1,700 new COVID-19 cases on Wednesday in Hubei.
An elderly Hong Kong man who contracted the COVID-19 died, authorities announced, the second fatality from the outbreak in the semi-autonomous Chinese city on Wednesday.
‘A 70-year-old male patient who was infected with the novel coronavirus deteriorated and succumbed in Princess Margaret Hospital this morning,’ the Hospital Authority said in a statement.
Officials said the man was taken to hospital on 12 February after a fall at home. He had a fever and tested positive for the virus, dying a week later.-AFP