Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has slammed national daily Prothom Alo saying that their negligence caused the death of Dhaka Residential Model College student Naimul Abrar who was electrocuted during an event for the daily’s magazine for juveniles.
“Those who organise the programs have some responsibility. An incident took place at Residential and the organisers neglected it,” she said during a programme at her office on Thursday.
She criticised Prothom Alo for continuing the program despite the student’s death.
“There are so many hospitals in Dhanmondi, yet they took him to Mohakhali. How does Prothom Alo do something like this?” the premier lashed out.
Hasina said that not ensuring the safety of the children is an outrageous and intolerable offence.
Abrar, a nonresident student of the Residential Model College received electric shock from a power generator set up behind a stage set up for “Ki Ananda”, an event of the daily Prothom Alo’s magazine for juveniles 'Kishor Alo' on Friday (Nov 1).
The college has opened an inquiry over the ninth-grader's death amid students' demonstrations.
On Oct 3, Prothom Alo was also served with a legal notice seeking Tk 100 million in compensation for Abrar.